The Pattonville Board of Education on March 13 approved an updated strategic plan for the district following a months-long process involving parents, students, community members, staff and area leaders. The updated plan, or CSIP (Comprehensive School Improvement Plan), focuses on ensuring all students become success-ready graduates and planning for and addressing any critical issues that may arise in the areas of finances, facilities, safety and staffing. Four committees focused on different areas of the plan and made recommendations for the next five years. The committees and
their recommendations are as follows.
Four committees focused on different areas of the plan and made recommendations for the next five years. The committees and their recommendations are as follows.
Task: Design a competency-based, personalized learning environment (see definition below in the first bullet) in preschool through 12th grades that leads students to be ready for high school course content and, ultimately, success after graduation.
- Implement a five-year personalized learning plan for the district. With personalized learning, students advance in their learning by demonstrating they've mastered important concepts and skills (competencies). Learning is customized to student needs, including the time it takes to master the subject matter, the teacher's instructional practice and the structure of the learning environment.
- Study the district's current middle school model and make recommendations for an improved learning structure.
- Embed cultural proficiency into all aspects of district work.
- Expand online learning opportunities for all students.
Task: Design a student responsibility framework for preschool through 12th grades that leads to all students being responsible citizens.
- Develop and implement a social-emotional learning (SEL) curriculum for preschool through 12th grades in order to support the development of the whole child. SEL is the process through which children and adults: acquire and effectively apply the knowledge, attitudes and skills necessary to understand and manage emotions; set and achieve positive goals; feel and show empathy for others; establish and maintain positive relationships; and make responsible decisions.
- Implement restorative practices in preschool through 12th grade to support a positive school climate and student responsibility. Restorative practices are sustainable, equitable and respectful alternatives to traditional disciplinary responses to student misbehavior.
- Develop and implement district and building plans that systematically address areas of disproportionality in discipline data.
- Develop and implement a plan for Pattonville to become a trauma-informed organization as defined by the Missouri Model for Trauma. A trauma-informed school is one that realizes the widespread impact of trauma and understands potential paths for recovery; recognizes the signs and symptoms of trauma in students and adults; responds by fully integrating knowledge about trauma into its policies, procedures and practices; and seeks to actively resist re-traumatization.
- Develop a proactive, intervention-driven system to identify and support students in the Pattonville middle school and high school alternative education programs.
- Develop and implement an early warning system to proactively identify students for more intensive levels of interventions (Tier II and III).
Extracurricular involvement and personal excellence
Task: Design an athletics and activities program structure that leads to personal and team success at every level (elementary, middle school and high school).
- Continue to design elementary and middle school after-school programming to prepare students for high school MSHSAA (Missouri State High School Activities Association) options.
- Develop and provide strategies for community programming meeting criteria that supports Pattonville student participation in MSHSAA athletics and activities.
- Improve and enhance district supports for MSHSAA programming offered at Pattonville High School.
Task: Identify critical issues (finances, facilities, safety and staffing) that will impact Pattonville over the next 10 years and develop a plan to address them.
- Conduct a district-wide safety audit and review current safety training.
- Develop a comprehensive approach to safeguarding district technology.
- Review the district's current middle school model of instruction and attendance boundaries.
- Continue updating and implementing the district facilities master plan.
- Review the district’s current staffing model and evaluate ways to give buildings greater autonomy to meet specific needs.
- Ensure the district has competitive salaries and proactively manage the district health insurance program to provide a competitive benefits program for staff.
Find out more.